corporate relocation australia

Changes for international drivers in Victoria

international drivers licence Victoria

Rules are changing for overseas and interstate drivers in Victoria. You may be required to convert to a Victorian driver licence.

What’s changing?

Expats currently living in Victoria and driving with an overseas or interstate licence will need to convert to a Victorian licence. For those already in Australia, you will have until 29 April 2020 to convert to a Victorian licence. This is true regardless of your visa and even if you have an international driving permit.  For those relocating to Australia after 29 October 2019, you will have 6 months to convert your licence.

Previously, expats could drive with their overseas licence indefinitely, as long as it was in English, they had a translation of it or had an international driving permit. This is no longer the case.

Who does this apply to?

This applies to any current or incoming expats who plan on staying more than 6 months. This includes New Zealanders and interstate drivers.  If you plan on staying less than 6 months, you won’t need to convert to a Victorian licence but you still need to carry a translation or an international licence (see below).

While using your overseas licence…

All road rules and laws apply even when using your overseas licence. If your overseas licence is in a language other than English, you will also need to carry an English translation or an international driving permit during your first six months (or until you convert your licence).

How do you convert your licence?

You will need to follow the steps on the VicRoads website. This will involve determining if you’re eligible and if your licence is recognised, completing any required tests and attending an appointment with VicRoads. At the appointment, you will need to bring a number of identification documents, completed form(s) and payment for licence fees. Review the VicRoads website for more information.

Do expats need to complete a driving test?

Depending on your home country and age, you may be required to complete a road law knowledge test, hazard perception test and drive test. Recognised countries and jurisdictions listed on the VicRoads website, such as Singapore, UK and France, among others, do not need to complete the tests.

For more information, visit

Share this article:
Explore Blog Topics

Download Our City Location Guides

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Contact ICC to discuss how our tailored-to-suit intercultural services and cultural training programs can help.